Are you as excited about the upcoming season as we are? We’ve rounded up the trends that stood out to us the most on the catwalks whether we take NY, London, Milan, Berlin or Paris. Crop tops, sheer details, exaggerated silhouettes and Birkenstocks are all made a strong statement. Are you ready for some trend-spotting and cool-hunting?
When it comes to seasonal trends there is one thing we may all consider. On the one hand let’s be open and dare experiment, while on the other we shall not forget our very own personal style and not to shift from fads to fads just because something is so-damn-trending right now. I believe that you can always find timeless staple pieces that will not ever fade away and we have a couple of those on mind to discuss with you! Here are some key Spring/Summer ’14 trends that you can buy and wear now without going wrong and stay stylish:
1. THE CROP TOP: Since a few seasons, crop tops keep us stick to that daily gym routine because bare midriffs are here to stay in 2014 again. There are different length, tightness and fabrics so don’t be frightened if your six-packs are seem to be coming together slowly; high-waisted skirts, tanned skin and just a tiny flash of skin will look sexy even if you are were not born with the exact dimensions of a supermodel.
Narciso Rodriguez Two-tone wool and silk-blend cropped top
2. THE SLIP-ON: Probably one of the most comfortable trends of the summer: slip-on sneakers are truly having a moment. And any time when comfortable, functional shoes are having a moment, one should take advantage. One of the best example could be Céline designer Phoebe Philo who has been reshaping the luxury house, and is reinforcing the sneaker obsession with the skate slip-on trend. While Vans was a pioneer, lately luxury brands like Givenchy, Saint Laurent or the ever cool Common Projects joined the slip on maniac.
Aldo Mara Light Blue Slip On Sneakers
3. THE METALLIC CLUTCH: If you are looking for a little sparkle and splash in your style a metallic accessory is a must-have going-out look for spring and summer. The best buy could be a plain clutch that you can match with a dress or simple denim; metallic works with everything, you will see!
Jil Sander Studded mirrored-leather clutch
4. WIDE-LEG PANTS: A pair of (white) palazzo pants feels fresh and roomy and are perfect for summer. Since it’s gonna be hot, let your legs breathe with such generously-proportioned trousers than can work both as an elegant alternative or as casual off-duty look with Converse and buttoned shirt.
Vionnet Silk-piqué wide-leg pants
5. SEE-THROUGH: During fall and winter we were already layering the netted fabrics under heavy knits for an effortlessly cool effect. During summer, wear your semi or fully sheer piece over a plain camisole or bra. The result is something between super sexy and innocently cute but above all, super stylish.
Alexander Wang Parental Advisory mesh and jersey sweatshirt
6. THE TEA-LENGTH SKIRT: Give those minis a rest by slipping a skirt that hits right between your calves and ankles. The voluminous ladylike silhouette is here to stay for summer too. This sweet trend is ideal because aside from looking like a princess, it accentuates the smallest part of the body: the waist. Can be worn both leisure and formal ways combined with heels or flats!
Tome Taffeta Dirndl Skirt
7. THE SLIP DRESS: Balancing a fine line between lingerie and daywear the spaghetti-strap dresses are having their renaissance in beautiful and expensive fabrics. Match with boxy jacket and ankle boots – sexy fashionistas love the lingerie look this season! If you are about the hit festivals, this should be your day one look!
Gold Hawk Floral Black Silk slip dress with lace
8. PASTELS: It’s not any surprising that pastels are fashionable for the season once again whether it’s ivory, mint, sky blue or pale pink pastel – such shades are always a feast for the eyes. One of our favourite examples is Burberry that went for pastel lace twinsets. Beauty at its best – we call it!
Burberry Prorsum Lace-Macramé Dress
9. THE BIRKENSTOCK: It’s time to take those trusty Birks out of retirement! Like the mule or slip-ons, this ’90s staple is making a comeback – and such a comfortable one. While we’re sure they’ll be available in an array of colours and finishes in no time, we stay to stick to neutrals in classic leather while for the brave ones I suggest the golden ones from the Stine Goya x H2O collaboration!
Birkenstock Arizona textured-leather slides
10. MATCHING SEPARATES: Call it the new match made in heaven – the fashion world is filled with matchmakers, and we’re not exemptions either. Get in the line ladies and go for matchy-matchy look, I’m sure you will make an appearance!
Marni Embellished cotton-blend twill bomber jacket
Marni Embellished twill pencil skirt